Sunday, December 11, 2022

Cabinet of Curiosity

 


Organic
Materials: Fabric, black foam board, straight pins, wood, air dry clay, resin teeth, colored thread, twin, black masking tape
14"W x 22"H x 8"D







Artist Statement:

My concepts for my cabinet came from my reading of To Have and to Hold, and my work resembles strange organic and living artifacts. The almost plant-like creature on the top shelf reflects the botanist in the reading who went around the work collecting odd and bizarre plants for his collection. The tooth creature on the bottom shelf reflects Tsar Peter, who used to pluck strangers off the street and extract their teeth for pleasure; he would then add them to his collection of teeth. I included curtains in my cabinet to symbolize the vanity of the period (the 1600s) but also reflect on how if you close the curtains, they can hide the grotesque. I want to visually communicate how there is a sense of wonder in the grotesque and how easily it is to hide the ugliness behind closed curtains.













No comments:

Post a Comment

Cabinet of Curiosity

  Organic Materials: Fabric, black foam board, straight pins, wood, air dry clay, resin teeth, colored thread, twin, black masking tape 14&q...